Friday, July 11, 2008

BACK TO MY STORY

I've been drifting away from my story for sometime..Well , sorry for that! O. K , Where was I? Yeah ! About the guy whom my parents chose for me. The day had finally arrived when Ambi and his family were coming to our place for an official visit. In India it is called the "Ladki Dekhna". The guy and family are supposed to visit the girl's home and evaluate how the girl looks and whether the family seems financially sound.. Hmmm.. I kept repeating to my dad that i would rather run away with a beast than marry a cock with a broken crown. I was all set to revolt against the whole thing..
I was busy getting dressed, trying hard to drape me with that long piece of cloth called "Sari". Suddenly i could hear noises outside. All of them had arrived. I peeped through the window expecting to find some monkey faced fellow who was "white" than fair in complexion.. consuming all those laddus fried in ghee n loads of curd rice.. But contrary to what i expected, i found a handsome young man walking towards our door with a glow in his eyes and an innocent smile on his face that shone like a moon.. I was flat at the very first sight..i swear..his eyes..that still gives me the kick whenever i look at him even today..
We talked for about an hour in privacy..about his job, my studies and ambitions in life, about our family n all that.. But i couldn't take my eyes off his face.. He seemed to be a nice man and i nodded "Yes" to the first alliance that knocked the door of my life.. meanwhile, not forgetting to tear away the profile of another alliance..that of an equally eligible bachelor.. His name was some "Vishnurao Iyer".. who was then an upcoming civil servant..
Was that a beginning of a dream come true or that of an unannounced disaster? Lets see..

-Priya

No comments: