Friday, July 11, 2008

COMMITTED !!!!


Ambi and I got engaged in a week. That was the day i first visited his home in Chennai.. His home where he spent his entire childhood was an old fashioned traditional construction and the air around the whole place announced the extend of narrow mindedness of its inmates. For the first time I felt i was gonna be rehabilitated in the wrong place. But i remembered what my mom had told me.. "Don't worry, you are not gonna stay here anyways.. Once the knots are tied you are gonna have your own way of life in an entirely different country with Ambi"..
Though the sermons had enough stuff to relieve oneself, i still wasn't convinced. For once, i felt i was standing against my conscience. I could sense that my outlook about life is never gonna match their's.. Not that i was one among those ultra-modern feminist women folks who never left their beds without a lipstick, but in that i preferred to take life in a practical sense, adapting to whatever novelty was demanded in each situation. Still!! For that green-card??? I swear..I cant believe i did that..!!! I decided to keep mum and go ahead with the commitment.
The principal reason why i had torn apart that brainy buddy's (Vishnurao Iyer) profile was b'cz he was born in a family where his ancestors were temple priests, who followed very strict religious norms in their family.
Here things were not strict but totally in the opposite extreme. Leave alone the usual "Brahmin" norms, they were not even behaving as normal human beings who expect a minimum privacy in their own homes. Ambi knows no tamil (Regional language of Iyers).. Their home was some kind of a lodge.. Anybody was welcome .. to open the fridge.. to enter the kitchen area.. to use the bedroom of one's choice, even your personal lap-top, even if you were the driver of the neighborhood.. Damn!!! One had to be conscious in one's own home.. Well i'll come to this topic later on!
As for now, i stood as a slaughter goat while Ambi carried on with booking me up as a life partner with a Solitaire Diamond Ring.. Alas! I was engaged.. I now had to scribble on top of wherever i had declared "Single" and overwrite "Committed" ..

No comments: